Sugar is hard to give up. Carbs are hard to ditch. Though we need glucose every day to function, most of us tend to binge, crave and eat too many carbs and too much sugar.
Daddy Oilist and I think a lot about what we eat. We enjoy grass-fed beef produced by a local farmer. We load our basket with fresh fruits and veggies each week.
Yet, I have begun to see a slight change in my cravings. After a stressful (read BabyOilist doesn’t want to nap) afternoon, I crave some cheesecake. Real cheesecake – made with real sugar – the real deal. Or I want to eat a huge hunk of bread. All these cravings come after a stressful period, not when I am hungry. To help with this, I engaged in a month-long gentle cleanse called, “Whole30.”
The basics of Whole30 are:
- Whole foods – meats, eggs, lots of veggies, some fruit, nuts, fats and seeds
- Grains, dairy, legumes and sugar
This 30 day protocol is not for the faint of heart. There were tough moments. But from day one, I felt so much better! Yes, there were days that I was extra tired or craved something on the “no” list. But those moments were short lived as I developed a cheat-sheet of tricks that helped me.
Here are five basic and practical tips that helped me:
- Have a basic plan or menu for each day.
- When hungry, start making and eating food. Make a salad. Cook some chicken. Or just start eating nuts, bell peppers or a grapefruit.
- Get enough water.
- Take your vitamins.
- Get some extra sleep.
Here is how essential oils helped me get through the Whole30:
- Cedarwood and Lavender Bath – Sometimes the cravings would come when I was uptight and just needed to relax.
- Using Young Living essential oils (i.e. Vitality line) in my cooking to add depth, interest and variety. A chopped apple and walnuts with one drop of Thieves Vitality was a yummy, new-found treat!
- Inhaling and Diffusing – Taking deep inhalations of Grounding, Stress-Away or Valor. This helped refocus my mind, refresh my mood and re-energize my body.
- Lime and Lemon Water – Squeezing a fresh lemon into a glass of water with one drop of Lime Vitality essential oil was a great pick-me-up.
Whole30 is not for the faint of heart, but it is so worth it. Within a week, my brain fog was gone and I felt so alive. Seeing these results and now having some little tricks in my back pocket, I am ready to do this challenge again!